Collegiate Peaks Campground is located 11 miles west of Buena Vista, Colorado, along Middle Cottonwood Creek near the top of Cottonwood Pass. The campground offers well-spaced campsites and scenic views of the surrounding mountains. Visitors enjoy fishing and exploring local trails.
The campground sits at an elevation of 9,800 feet, tucked in a dense stand of ponderosa pine and aspen. Some sites sit alongside the creek while others are tucked back in the woods. Afternoon thunderstorms are common during summer months.
Cottonwood Pass is a high mountain pass across the Continental Divide in the Sawatch Range of the Rocky Mountains. The road reaches the divide at an elevation of 12,126 feet.
For Reservations Call: 877-444-6777
Know Before You Go:
- Please disinfect waders and boots when fishing in beaver ponds; this will help protect endangered toads from the spread of chytrid fungus
- Be bear aware; keep all food out of sight in approved containers or locked inside your vehicle and remove all food from area after eating
- This is a high elevation facility; please use caution when traveling from lower elevations
- This facility has first-come, first-served sites
- No hookups available
- A $5 fee will be charged for additional vehicles
- Click here for more information on Pike and San Isabel National Forests
- Don’t Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing organisms by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visitdontmovefirewood.org.
Hiking and fishing are among the most popular activities. In winter, the campground serves as a cross-country skiing and snowshoeing area because of its relatively level terrain.
The Ptarmigan Lake Trailhead is less than 3 miles from the campground and boasts views of vivid wildflowers. Denny Creek Trail is less than a mile away and connects to the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area.
Middle Cottonwood Creek is small but fairly well-stocked with brook trout. Determined anglers can often pull rainbow and cutthroat trout from the beaver ponds west of the campground.
The Collegiate Peaks Wilderness offers challenging trails and prime backcountry fishing lakes.
A commercial hot springs inn and spa is located about 5 miles east of the campground.
The campground offers several single-family sites on three loops. Each site is equipped with a picnic table, campfire ring and grill. Vault toilets and drinking water are provided.
|Within 10 Miles
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From Buena Vista, Colorado, take Highway 306. At the stoplight, go west for 11 miles toward Cottonwood Pass. Campground is located on the left-hand side of the road. Highway 306 is paved on east side of Cottonwood Pass.