Kelsey is one of two campgrounds within the Buffalo Creek Recreation Area, about an hour’s drive southwest of Denver, Colorado. Visitors enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities, including hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking and trout fishing.
The campground sits at an elevation of 7,400 feet in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. Summer temperatures are mild and range from 75-80 during the day to 55-65 at night.
The Kelsey Overlook is just north of the campground along County Road 126, offering beautiful views of the valley below.
For Reservations Call: 877-444-6777
Know Before You Go:
- Be bear aware; keep all food out of sight in approved containers or locked inside your vehicle and remove all food from area after eating
- This is a high elevation facility; please use caution when traveling from lower elevations
- Facility has first-come, first-served sites
- $6 nightly fee will be charged for extra vehicles
- Click here for more information on Pike and San Isabel National Forests
- Don’t Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing organisms by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visitdontmovefirewood.org.
The Buffalo Creek Recreation Area is home to a 40-mile trail system most popular with mountain bikers, but hikers and horseback riders enjoy the area as well. Several trailheads are within the area, including Little Scraggy Trail, just 3 miles north of the campground. Access to the Colorado Trail and the Buffalo Burn Trail begin from this trailhead. Shinglemill Trail is also nearby.
Buffalo Creek is a popular fishing stream for brook trout. The area offers great wildlife viewing opportunities for turkey, elk, mule deer, chipmunks and porcupines.
The drive along County Road 126 southwest from Pine Junction affords magnificent views of the valleys below. Pikes Peak, at 14,110 feet, can be seen in the distance and other prominent rock formations present themselves throughout the scenic drive.
The campground offers single-family sites, some of which are designated for tent camping only. Each site is equipped with picnic tables and campfire rings with grills. Vault toilets are provided. Drinking water is available from a hand pump, but hookups are not available.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From Denver, take Highway 285 southwest to Pine Junction and turn south on Jefferson County Road 126. Travel approximately 17 miles to the campground.