Located off the Halfmoon Road (FSR 110), Halfmoon East is a first-come, first-served campground near the Mount Elbert and Mount Massive Trailheads at 9,000 feet. This is a very popular campground for hikers. Facilities include picnic tables, fire rings with grates, and vault toilets. There is no potable water available at this campground, but water can be obtained up the road at Halfmoon West Campground.
High altitude sickness may occur at this altitude.
This is a first-come, first-served campground. No sites are reservable.
Open Friday preceding Memorial Day Through Tuesday following Labor Day
Check in: 2 pm
Check out: 12 pm (noon)
Quiet hours: 10 pm to 6 am
The following restrictions apply to this campground:
- Maximum 8 persons per site: 2 tents and 2 vehicles or 1 recreation vehicle.
- No camping is allowed within 100 feet of the Creek.
- All off highway vehicles (OHVs) must stay on designated roads and trails.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times.
- No discharge of firearms or fireworks.
- Only licensed vehicles can operate inside campground.
- Camping is NOT ALLOWED behind a LOCKED GATE.
A vault toilet is available in this campground. No water is available in this campground. Tent camping,Camping trailer,Fee charged for some activities,Picnic tables,Toilets,Parking
From Leadville, travel south approximately 3 miles on US Hwy 24. Turn RIGHT on Colorado 300 at the Leadville National Fish Hatchery sign. Continue about 3/4 of a mile and turn LEFT at the Halfmoon Campground sign. Follow this road and turn RIGHT at the Halfmoon sign at the end of the pavement. This dirt road will lead to the Halfmoon East/West and Elbert Creek areas. (Note: This road is not maintained in the winter.)